Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Gooseneck progress

I seperated my boxed mainframes and leveled at 58" center. (7k axles with 58"
spring centers)
I looked at 10k axles, oil bath Dexters, and at $1150. ea. I figured I'd go with 7k
$400. axles to start...($750 for 3k more X 2= $1500 for 6k more)
Of course I would prefer tandem duals, who wouldn't? (trying to be reasonable)
Brakes on both axles.
I figure if I change my mind I can make special brackets later for different spring
centers. (have learned from axle manufacturers that if you move or change spring centers on axles in ANY way the ratings change for capacities)
I'm just including all my thinking here for whoever may be interested...
I cut and welded 6" channel crossmembers (4 total) at 57 lbs each.
Mainframes are 520 lbs ea, X 2 = 1040 lbs
Mainframes with crossmembers are 1268 lbs




Set up conveyor for horizontal bandsaw.
First two crossmembers.
Bought I-Beam, 576 lbs @ 18 lbs per foot.
cut uprights.
Welded two uprights and inside crossmembers.
(I cut 19 degree angles on top of uprights which is a matching angle to the
forwards connecting GN coupler, strictly aesthetic)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work! That will be a super-strong trailer!

    ReplyDelete