Sunday, March 27, 2016

Updates

Well now... No point in lying. I was anxious and a little worried to actually pull it. Fact is, I didn't really calm down until after I weighed it on the big truck scales, got a bite to eat and took a break...
I torqued all lug nuts, checked lights, checked breakaway system battery, put my gooseneck spider in my bed on rails, secured with pins, connected breakaway line, inspected all of the shackles, spring mounts etc. I greased all grease fittings. (jacks, equalizers, coupler) Set all air pressure to 80 psi and reversed and pulled forward braking numerous times. I drove around a 3 block circle and returned for inspection. Then I drove out to the four lane and hit it! I did keep my truck in 3rd instead of overdrive, we know the trailer is at least 6200 lbs. I didn't add welding wire and I didn't have the correct measurements on the dovetail angle 5/16 X 3, as well, the scales could be slightly off... I couldn't ascertain a correct intelligent answer as to what percentage are they guaranteed correct... Such is the world/time in which we live... I was so excited I have no idea what I paid for the two weighs... She pulls just as pretty as you please, my truck knows she's there, but just goes on... My happiest realization is that there is no jerking/bucking going on and I purposely hit potholes to investigate oddities. So, in light of that, I'd say the rigid frame and neck idea are an extreme success.









Here are the scale tickets, as you can see; Steer axle is 3200 lbs. Drive axle is at 3820 lbs. and trailer axles are at 5160 lbs all while connected to truck.
Total is 12,180 lbs.

Then I dropped trailer on scales and weighed alone. At the jacks the trailer is 1880 lbs. At the axles the trailer is 4620 lbs.
Total trailer 6500 lbs.

I'd like to point out that I'm building ramps now, 40 inches wide each and they are very heavy, I'm guessing I'll be lucky if I can keep them at 300 lbs. each. I ordered 3 sets of assist springs, up and down is plan, I may adjust that number by necessity... 

Also, as time/money permits I have every intention of removing 7k axles and replacing with 12k axles and running super singles rated at 6005 lbs each.






I pulled it roughly 46 miles all told and I plan to pull it again unladen on a nicer day with no rain in forecast. I've yet to finish priming and painting bottom of bed plate and painting the rest of the mainframe...I expect I'll get on those issues as work permits. I'm attempting to design and build ramps in the evenings/nights but I have to rest a little... 
Good Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment