Saturday, February 13, 2016

Okay people or lack of them...Maybe I should just type Okay record... Heh. Sherwin Williams, understanding the nature of me and my extremely high opinion of quality and longevity, sold me an industrial primer...
Kem Kromik pronounced Chem Chrome-ick a lot like it looks. Protective and Marine coatings. This is an Alkyd metal primer.
First and foremost the stuff is the most bonding product I have ever used and I own a painting company and use alkyd based (oil) paints regularly and have for a number of years. Example: I applied this product to naked prepared metal and in removing some of it, to weld, I learned it was next to impossible with a stainless wire brush in my angle grinders. Apparently this product gets into the microscopic pores in the steel, very pleased with results so far.

Just as important, depending on your view, is that the product is almost completely impossible to tolerate the smell/odor. Again, I have experience with thousands of different types of coatings and none has offended me as bad as this. You'll want to get a breathing apparatus and spare no expense. On top of that the fumes remain in the air for some time. (if the epa knew about this they surely would bury it all with nuclear waste and no one could ever use it again) When I use it again, it will be outside no matter the circumstances. I hope that this is coming across clearly! I'll add that it actually made me angry with a cheapo filtered mask. (the mask didn't filter enough out and the chemical that got into my lungs/bloodstream made me angry) This product will not be used by me inside my shop or any other closed space again, period.

At this point I believe this is and will prove to be the best metal primer available. Cannot reduce.(who wants to have to paint over and over)

The paint (top coat) is a two part product, high solids... The name is Hi-Solids Polyurethane, also protective and marine coatings. Comes with the hardener, one gallon and one quart respectively, and that's how it's mixed 80/20. I'll say more after I use it but SW assures me the odor will be much better and may not bother me at all. I'm very interested in not having to paint again.

Okay, I've added a center single 6 inch channel member for additional support between mainframes essentially making three mainframe beams. My reasoning is that my forklift is 36 inches wide and weighs 5200 pounds dry. I'm surprised that didn't occur to me before. Obviously forklifts concentrate massive amounts of weight in a very tiny footprint... I mentioned the additional beam before but not why. There you have it. (it isn't lost on me that the tandem dually is ideal for this by its inherent design)

I just laid out my conduit and 7-way conductor cable in preparation for wiring. (conduit needs to relax from tight spool position) Here are current images...








No comments:

Post a Comment