Tuesday, February 16, 2016

All about the Prep!

Working on getting lights set up. Here's the plan... Thursday morning early I'll get all bed frame channel on mainframe and pull outside, not sure if its been mentioned, but trailer almost 8 1/2 feet wide will not go through my shop door, once bedframe welded no more inside at my current shop. I'm thinking about looking for a larger shop because I'm getting calls to fabricate/weld on large equipment, dump beds, big truck trailers etc and I enjoy this type of work, as well, it's good exercise... I'm not capable of laying around... So, Thursday morning I pull it all outside and set up/weld all bed frame, then weld on stake pockets, install lights and go to steel company to pick up diamond plate. No mystery here if anyone's wondering, I've already explained I need one sheet cut lengthwise 32/16 (to avoid mating over short crossmembers at wheels) and that I need each sheet laid in its respective position on bed frame, we can do it with their crane/trolly hoist.
No time to play, I'll strap for security in freshly welded stake pockets, get back to shop, set up plasma cutter and remove triangle corners for boarding steps, weld sheet steel top and bottom (stitch) and then have a couple of my guys get on the primer, while I knock off weld slag and such with angle grinder. Then I can set up boarding steps and weld. I may have left out that in using these marine coatings they require you to "strike" coat all welds/joints first, then go over all. By the time they get close to being finished I'll start one guy back on paint. I'm concerned with bottom, time consuming...
I decided (diamond plate gets slippery when wet) to add a special step into the top bed coat as follows: I'm going to get them started on top of bed together and as soon as they roll out one 4X8 section, I'll sprinkle clean/dry sand on wet paint (I'm making a sort of sand shaker with a folgers canister, drilled holes in lid...) Then after that paint can be topcoated...Sand should be well into coating and sealed.
Weather permitting, that is the plan...
This evening I cut 3/4 inch holes in side bed frame channel for markers. Had to countersink (1 inch) holes in order to use mini L.E.D.'s (channel too thick) Annular cutters, mag drill... Here are images of that process, single hole. I drilled/countersunk 6. Last image shows light lit with battery...









No comments:

Post a Comment