Sunday, May 15, 2016

Ramps

I decided to work on trailer ramps yesterday and today. I cut and welded (8) eight 1.25 inch square tubing support tubes for diamond plate load /travel surfaces on each ramp. Then welded diamond plate and ground smooth rough areas then primed. During initial calculations I decided to leave an 1/8 inch space to make ramps come flush with bed only after adding some type of cushion to prevent metal on metal contact from ramps to dove. It is almost time to decide what sort of cushion to obtain. I welded on side triangles, previously sheered with other pieces, After working it out in my head I couldn't see another sheet beyond the two required to cover load surfaces, therefore the insides of ramps are left open. Manufacturers use the side plate as ramp support but I have a complete self supporting frame. Of note: after adding the plate my assist springs are no longer sufficient and I must make adjustments. I've yet to determine the use of more springs (added weight) or cutting and re-positioning current spring catches... Both include numerous complications. I'm slightly annoyed my ramps are so heavy. I could have made them lighter and been just fine. As it stands I cannot imagine anything crushing or damaging them, it would probably take over a hundred thousand pounds and nothing like that will ever be getting on my trailer. At best I could put two 15k axles under it and it's still overbuilt for that, but never would the trailer be required to carry more than 30k. Ramps will soon be forgotten as a non issue...
I'm adding the rear plates after I cut stop, tail and turn mount holes to add additional lights to ramps. I don't think it's necessary, but I've decided higher mounted lights will be safer, and redundants are good in case of light failure... Also, it would be simple to add reverse lights to ramps as well but I have mixed feelings about them. I may or may not.







No comments:

Post a Comment